Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Clueless Girls, Smoking Professors, and the First Spring Thunderstorm


(1) Today a girl sent me a Friendster message and was totally macking on me. I'm thinking she didn't read my profile and catch that whole part about me being a homo. Or maybe she did and she's just kinky like that.

(2) Today I learned that the place to network with your professors is in the smoking pit. I'm not a smoker, but when I happened to walk out one of the side doors of the School of Journalism I found two of my (well-connected) professors talking with each other and puffing away. They started chumming around with me like I was a junior professor or something, addressing me by my first name and tossing around job connection possibilities like there was no tomorrow. Who knew that the smoking pit was the secret to success?

(3) It rained today in Minneapolis and it was gorgeous. While I was walking to class I listened to Ben Harper on my iPod and the sounds of the rumbling, rolling thunder and the ocassional flashes of lighting, accompanied by the rain slapping against my umbrella, made me unspeakably happy. There's something about the first thunderstorm of spring that absolutely does it for me. And the smell in the air after the first spring rain? Oh God, it was so good that I wanted to get it on with the nearest pedestrian. Social decency stopped me, but only just barely.