Tuesday, April 26, 2005

'Sex and the City' Exclusive


Tonight Candace Bushnell, the real-life Carrie Bradshaw and author of the novel "Sex and the City," came to the University of Minnesota. I was there and I transcribed the entire event. You can't get this exclusive anywhere else on the Net. :)

"A lot of people get caught up in love and they think it’s going to solve all of their problems, but relationships don’t solve your problems, and usually they make them worse.

You have to be able to make an adult decision about commitment. It wasn’t until I got older and really understood that the only way a relationship can work is commitment. And for some people that does mean marriage.

I think young women spend too much time worrying about relationships and not about their career. I know that you think your career is boring right now, but when people ask me about my biggest regret, it was that in my 20s I wish I would have spent more time thinking about my career than my relationships and more about making money and getting ahead.

We don’t tell women enough how important it is to be successful. Success gives you self-actualization and a sense of achievement. And when you’re successful it’s easy to find a man and a relationship. It’s hard to find a decent man and a relationship when you’re needy and you’re unsure and you hate your job and you hate your life. That’s probably one of the worst times to meet a man. It’s kind of like a Band-Aid.

My advice is to really concentrate on you and be a whole person and a whole person who makes a contribution to the world. Everything else will follow, including a great relationship."

Click here to read the whole article.