Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous


So, I work in the Walker Art Center shop and I was there tonight when the building was open to board members, funders, and special invitees (which is to say that anyone worth less than ten million dollars was not allowed inside the building).

I met a lot of wealthy people tonight, kids, and I have to tell you: most of them are fucking great. I love how they throw money around like it's play Monopoly money, purchasing $600 watches on a whim, digging through their Prada handbags looking for their Platinum Visa cards, and dropping names left and right.

One woman walked in to the shop and asked to see the postcards of images from the Walker's permanent collection. After I showed her to the table, I overheard her say, "Oh, there's my Jasper Johns!" I thought she was joking.

She wasn't.

Later she was telling a few of my coworkers and me that she couldn't believe that "her Marilyns" were not also on a postcard. Did you catch that? Marilyn, y'all. As in Monroe. As in this bitch is extremely wealthy and could probably buy a small country with the money she used to buy one of Andy Warhol's screenprinted images of Marilyn Monroe.

Funny, that.