Sunday, April 03, 2005

Goin' to the Chapel


Here's the dish: my parents got married this weekend and it was ridiculously great. I would try and explain how great it really was but it would involve an inappropriate number of hyperboles. There were no drunken uncles, no "oooh, she got fat!" moments, no petty fights--nothing like that. Everybody was gracious and relaxed and kind and fabulous. (See what I mean about the hyperboles? But they're true!)

We had the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner on Friday and then the ceremony late Saturday afternoon. Afterward we had the reception dinner and dance at this gorgeous mansion near the Minneapolis Institute of the Arts (pictured above) and everything was again--and I'm sorry to say this--pretty much fucking perfect. I'm happy for them, though, because they deserve that.

We capped everything off this morning with a huge catered brunch my parents' house where we all got to mingle and hang out and enjoy the post-wedding glow. (Oh God, doesn't this sound like something out of "Chicken Soup for the Soul" or something? I wish I had some dirty gossip to spill or something, but they just didn't give me any good material for any quality gossip swapping. I mean, I guess I could report that my unwed aunt is pregnant--quelle scandale!--but she's been with her man for eleven years now, qualifying as a common law married couple under Minnesota state law, so I guess that isn't much of a quality scandal. So much for the gossip.)

My mama got married, y'all, and the girl did it with grace, poise, and style. (Okay, did we talk about the hyperboles already? No, but seriously though...)